Against most common beliefs lip balm/butter isn't the most effective way to combat your dry chapped lips. Exfoliating is the 1st stage. Exfoliating your lips 2-3 times a week will help remove all the dead, dry skin leaving your lips feeling instantly softer and smoother.
Removing your flaky,dry, dead skin will allow your lip balm/butter to really do its thing and moisturise your lips to super kissable effects.
If your like me and suffer from chapped lips, you can use this recipe to make you very own lip scrub.
The best part is that you use ingredients you have in your home which is all natural, you certainly will be giving Lush a run for their money.
What you need:
- 1 Tablespoon of caster sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon of olive oil
- Dribble of honey
- Flavouring (optional)
- Colouring (optional)
- Put the caster sugar and oil in a small mixing bowl and mix together. The textured mixture will turn slightly yellow in colour. If you find that the mixture is liquidy add more sugar to balance it out.
- Add the honey you only need a little bit just to stick the mixture together.
- Add in a few drops of flouring (Optional). This step is completely optional however i find that using pepper mint extract works really well. You don't want to add in to much as you want the flavour to be subtle and not overpowering.
- Add in a few drops of colouring (Optional). Again this step is completely optional. a bit of food colouring can make your scrub look pretty. I would suggest using a hint of pink or red colouring as it can stain your lips a little bit giving them a hint of colour.
- You can store you lip scrub in to a container which will last up to two weeks.
How to use:
Apply a small amount on to your finger tip and gently rub on to your lip. Once your happy lick your lips to remove the excess scrub. Yes you read it right all the ingredients are edible.
Apply a generous amount of lip butter/ balm to your lips.
This is quick, easy and really cost effective at around 10p or less per small container.
Keep an eye out from my DIY homemade body,face and foot scrubs.
Do you have chapped lips? What works best for you?